Bricklaying courses and Curriculum
Please contact us to book a course.
All our bricklaying courses are hands-on to help you gain knowledge and confidence in Bricklaying. Our Instructors have vast experience working on site and in a learning environment.
You will be guided through the course to complete all the units required to gain your Nationally Recognised Accredited Award or Certificate in Skills for professions in construction and engineering.
A full Health & Safety induction will precede training. For the 5-day course we ask all our students to observe a 30-minute H & S DVD which includes all aspects of health and safety, PPE, housekeeping and general health and safety regulations in and around the workshop. We require all our students to sign a disclaimer stating they have understood our H&S terms and conditions while training at DTS
Our 5 Day Bricklaying Course – £450.00 inc VAT (In-house certified qualification)
Our 5 day bricklaying course can be tailored to suit your individual needs whether you are a complete novice or you have had experience of bricklaying before and just want to improve your skills. It’s also a very good starting point for people beginning their career in construction trades.
Our courses can be divided up into blocks of days to suit your availability or you can complete the course in five consecutive days. Our typical curriculum is as follows:
Health & Safety briefing
- Introduction to the tools of the trade
- Introduction to different brick bonds
- Setting up the work area – positioning mortarboard and brick pile
- Setting up lines and using gauge rod
- Cutting bricks and blocks to size
- How to mix mortar to the right consistency for bricklaying
- Technique and practice on rolling your mortar and collecting on trowel
- Correct mortaring of bricks – holding, buttering
- Building a single brick wall
- Laying a soldier course
- Pointing techniques and joint finishes
- Building corners (Quoins)
- Brick and block laying for cavity walls including damp proof
- Building a 9” garden wall with brick on edge coping
OCN Level Award 1 Bricklaying – 2 week course £550.00 inc VAT (Nationally recognised OCN Level 1 Award)
- OCN Introduction to study skills
- Week 1 follows the 5 day bricklaying curriculum
- Week 2 includes more advanced techniques and practice as follows
- Building walls with different bonds
- Building brick piers
- More advanced blockwork
- Building for door and window openings
OCN Level 1 Certificate Bricklaying – 4 week course £875.00 inc VAT (Nationally recognised OCN Level 1 Certificate)
The Certificate course is the same curriculum as the Award course with an extra 2 weeks of practice which also involves more advanced coursework. Incorporating employability skills training.
OCN Level 2 Award Bricklaying – 2 week course £775.00 inc VAT (Nationally recognised OCN Level 2 Award)
Level 2 award requires a very specific curriculum which covers:
- Calculating the amount and types of material required to meet the specification
- Select the tools, equipment and materials necessary for the work
- Check the work area and prepare it for the building work
- Build walls to specific requirements
OCN Level 2 Certificate Bricklaying – 6 week course £1,375.00 inc VAT (Nationally recognised OCN Level 2 Certificate)
Level 2 Certificate follows the very specific curriculum of the Award course plus an extra 2 weeks of practical work.
Bespoke courses in Bricklaying – £120/day inc VAT
Our bespoke courses in bricklaying are designed around you specific needs. These can range from 1 day courses to as long as required to cover the learning you need.
Examples can be basic or advanced:
- Building a chimney
- Building complex piers
- Replacing damaged bricks in situ
- Specialised pointing
- Working with lintels
- Specialised coping – dog-tooths, creasing tiles
- Herringbone other decorative brick patterns
- Laying slabs
- Small brick wall to enhance your Hard Landscaping project
- Block pavers
A full demonstration of each unit will be given before you begin practical work. The course is delivered to a high standard and you will be supported throughout the course depending on individual needs.
There will be a continuity of assessments, tutor feedback, course validation and evidence to enhance your learning experience which in turn will give you the best possible outcome of the course. This will give you solid foundations to begin your career in the building trade.
We are confident our courses will enhance your learning abilities and employability prospects.
Hot and cold drinks are provided during breaks times. All tools and materials will be supplied for you. Please wear suitable clothing and please be advised, for your safety, you are required to supply your own safety footwear. We are flexible to suit all individual requirements. If a break in your training period occurs, we can recommence within an agreed time frame.
All courses are designed on individual needs and will be discussed during the induction.